Saturday, July 2, 2016

Day 5 - First week done


Well it's the end of my first "retired" week.  Let's see how I did against my short-term goals..

  • Set weekly goals aligned with long-term goals. - Partially done.  I finished my project in my Information Security class but that's about it.  An unplanned item popped up where I spent most of Thursday changing out the door lock cylinders in the Camry.
  • Blog - Done :-)
  • Know what day of the week it is - Done but it was close.  I was a bit unsure about Wednesday.  Luckily I still get the newspaper and was able to glean the day of the week from the front page.
  • Shower - Done.  :-)
  • Change clothes - Done. :-)
  • Eat three meals - Done. :-)  Bonus - I ate the three meals at normal times (e.g. did not eat lunch at 3pm)
  • Interact with a non-family member to maintain connections with the outside world - Done.  Thursday was a close one.  I originally planned to go to happy hour with an ex-coworker (that narrowed it just around 200 potential folks) but he couldn't make it.  Around 8pm when I was heading out to get the mail, my neighbor was outside.  We usually just shouted greetings and went our own ways.  But since I didn't meet my goal for the day, I stopped and chatted and had a very pleasant conversation.  Mental note - Create a list of folks that I can talk to around 10pm if I haven't interacted with any non-family member.  Clerks at convenience stores do not count but I would be interested in hearing their opinion about contractors on the Death star
There have been some adjustments I've had to make since leaving Intel.  Here are just some of them...
  • No free coffee and food is less accessible - The coffee wasn't a big deal since I have a Keurig but I needed to wait TWO WHOLE MINUTES for the Keurig to heat up the water after I turned it on.  I suppose I can set the Keurig to turn on automatically before I wake up so I blame myself for that.  However, the biggest adjustment is the lack of lunch options.  The Intel cafeteria had a wide assortment of salad fixings, a grill, Mexican food, stir-fry and pizza if nothing else seemed appealing.  They also had Indian food but I'm not into spicy, even if it's "not spicy" (see footnote 1).  My in-house lunch selection has been limited to what's in the fridge which is usually lunch meat and smattering of previous night's leftovers.  If I wanted something else or even a donut, I'll have to get into a car a drive.  *sigh*.  Time to stock up food in the fridge.  I think the variety of food in my cube was larger than what we have at home.
  • Need to start using the Gregorian calendar system -  People outside Intel don't use workweeks.  For example, we are in the process of buying a new car.  A dealer told us that he could order one and it would be available in two weeks.  I said that we would be out of town until ww30.1.  He looked at me quizzically until I had to convert it to July 18.  I will have to dust off my memory banks about which month hath 30 days. (footnote 2)
  • People information - Since the Intel email and contact information was removed from smartphone, I lost phone numbers and contact information of those I worked with.  So if you text me, don't get offended if I ask "Who are you?"  Also it's awkward when I meet people that I have met before.  If I forget somebody's name at Intel I would quickly glance at their badge.  This isn't available when I meet people now.  I have make to small talk until I have gleaned enough information to remind me who they are.  Luckily I don't have to do that at home.  I make all the family members wear name tags.
  • Time Perspective - Not having to go back to work, be it after a weekend or after an eight week sabbatical, is the biggest adjustment for me.  There was always a time-pressure to get things done before I went back to work.  Sunday afternoons would be stressful when I realized there were things that I still wanted to do but there was the pending onus of having to go back to work on Monday.  When my wife also had a Monday-Friday job, I noticed there were a lot of spousal arguments on Sunday afternoons.  The issue that we argued about wasn't large but were subconsciously exacerbated because both of us had to go back to work the next day.  Same with sabbaticals - even though it's eight weeks long, there's still a realization that "my time" was limited.  The pressure to get 'my things' done increased as the end of my sabbatical and I have to head back to work..   Now with no pending return-to-work date, I don't have the pressure of a limited amount of time to accomplish what I want and have the luxury of doing something else without feeling it's taking away from 'my time' (e.g. spending a whole day working on the car where working on cars is not something I enjoy).    However, I need to balance enjoying the freedom from the pressure of getting things done right away with making sure I do what I want to do before my 'retirement' ends.  (I still haven't resumed GoT, only seen the first few minutes of TWD, and haven't started Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm yet).  Stay tuned on this front.
I will be on 'vacation' vacation (i.e. out of town) the next two weeks so I doubt I would blog about it since it's more like a regular vacation that non-retired people take. I doubt people are interested in seeing pictures of my feet in front of a body of water or scenery that they can easily find on Google.  I'll post something on my blog sometime after ww30  mid-July.

Footnote 1 -  I don't eat spicy hot foods and when I went on a business trip to Bangalore, India I found out that what they called "non-spicy" is still quite spicy to me.  I wound up asking for 'negative' spicy food.  To make a semiconductor analogy, their spicythreshold is higher than mine.   I have a lower trip point as to what is spicy.
Footnote 2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_days_hath_September or the 'knuckle method'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Ma0D-fN38

1 comment:

  1. FYI - I have had to teach my math students the knuckle method as I won't let them use a smartphone to look up the number of days in the months.

    ReplyDelete